Coconut Curried Cauliflower
Roasted cauliflower curry recipe
Coconut Curry Cauliflower
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 large head of white cauliflower cut in large bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- Few cracks freshly cracked pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts roasted and chopped
- Fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
For the curry sauce:
- 1/2 a sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely grated using a microplane
- 1 small thai chili finely sliced or a pinch of pepper flakes
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder looks for one that has yellow(turmeric)
- 14 ounce can coconut milk light or regular
- 1/2 cup low sodium veggie stock/broth
- Lime juice & zest
- Sugar or agave nectar
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- Avocado or grapeseed oil
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the cauliflower with the oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the oven for 25 minutes until its nicely charred, but still has a bite to it.
While the cauliflower roasts, pre-heat a medium size sauce pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and garlic along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook for 6 minutes. Add the curry powder, ginger, chilies and cook another 3 minutes until everything is soft and the onions are translucent. Add the coconut milk, bring to a simmer and reduce by half, about 7-10 minutes. Add the veggie stock and season with the zest and juice of half a lime, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for another 10 minutes or until it has a sauce like consistency. Turn heat down to low.
This is the most important part, taste for seasoning. You want a good balance of sweet, salty, sour, and spicy, so you will almost certainly need more lime juice, sugar, or salt. Stir in the coconut cream and take off heat. If you want the sauce to be smooth and creamy strain it before you serve. Can be made 2 days ahead of time and reheated.
Once the cauliflower is ready, gently toss it with the curry sauce in a pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the raisins, walnuts, cilantro, and serve.