Grilled Octopus Salad Recipe
Grilled Octopus Salad
- 2 pounds of cleaned fresh or frozen small octopus
- 1/3 pound chantrelle mushrooms portabella or cremini work also
- 1 head of radicchio rosso round shape, cut in half
- 1/3 cup of toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- reduced balsamic syrup
- juice of ¼ a lemon
- extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- kosher salt
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and season with 2 tablespoons of salt. Carefully put the octopus in the pot and reduce water to a simmer, cook for 1 hour and remove.
Pre-heat your grill to medium-high. Season the radicchio(both sides), octopus, and mushrooms with a good splash of EVOO and a generous pinch of salt. Grill the radicchio until both sides are nicely charred, but still raw in the middle, roughly 3-4 minutes per side. Grill the mushrooms and octopus until a nice even char appears on all sides, roughly 8 minutes, turning frequently.
To assemble the salad, roughly chop the radicchio and place it on a platter. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of EVOO and the lemon juice over the radicchio. Roughly chop the mushrooms and place it over radicchio, and do the same with the octopus. Garnish with the hazelnuts and squeeze a nice amount of balsamic syrup all over the top of the salad along with another good drizzle of EVOO.
Note - Balsamic syrup can be bought at any supermarket, or made by reducing balsamic vinegar in a pot until it gets thick and syrup like.
* Don’t eat the Octopus heads, and for best flavor and texture, make sure to grill the octopus the same day you boil it.