This recipe is with main ingredient
Roasted Pumpkin SoupPrint
- One 2.5 pound pumpkin “sugar” or “pumpkin pie” pumpkin
- ¼ cup Italian sausage about 1 link in the casing
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts low sodium veggie stock
- 1-2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds roasted
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut pumpkin in half from top to bottom and scrape out the seeds. Season inside with evoo, a good pinch of salt and a couple cracks of pepper. Place both halves on a sheet tray, cut side down, roast for 1 hour until the skin is golden brown and the meat is soft when pierced with a knife. Let cool and scoop out pumpkin meat, can be done 2 days ahead of time.
- Pre-heat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat, add the sausage. Cook for 5 minutes until most of the fat has rendered out . Add 2 tablespoons of evoo, the onion, and the next 2 ingredients. Season with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and a couple cracks of pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and ginger and cook another 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and next 4 ingredients and cook for 1 minute. Add the roasted pumpkin meat, veggie stock and next 2 ingredients. Bring to a simmer and taste for seasoning, you may need more salt. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- For the fried sage leaves, heat 3 tablespoons of EVOO in a small pan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Fry the sage leaves for 1 minute or until crispy and the bubbling in the oil has subsided. Remove sage leaves and save the infused oil.
- Using a hand blender, carefully blend the soup until creamy and smooth. Return to heat and check for seasoning, it might need more maple syrup or salt. If soup is too thick, add more veggie stock. Serve soup and garnish with some toasted pumpkin seeds, a sage leave, and a drizzle of sage oil.
This recipe is: