BBQ Beef Slider
Hail Mary Gameday BBQ SliderPrint
- 1 pound of ground beef 80/20 beef to fat ratio
- kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper S&P
- potato rolls or any soft bun like Martin's or King's Hawaiian
- 6 strips of thick cut bacon
- 6 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 a small head of napa cabbage finely shredded
- 1/2 a small head of red cabbage finely shredded
- 2 medium sized carrots peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise plus 4 tbsp extra for the buns
- 1/4 cup of crème fraiche sour cream also works
- 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tspn of celery seeds
- 1 cup of ketchup
- ½ cup of bourbon
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tspn red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- 1 tspn onion powder
- 1 tspn liquid smoke
- To make the BBQ sauce, add all the ingredients to a heavy bottom pot and bring to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Adjust for seasoning along the way, it may need more heat or sweet. When finished, take out the chipotle peppers and set the sauce aside.
- To form the burgers, I found that a 2.5 ounce size patty makes the perfect slider, so eyeball or use a scale, and form into patties. Once formed, season with a generous amount of S&P on both sides and keep in the fridge until ready to cook(room temperature burgers will be mushy and fall apart when cooked).
- For the bacon, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, lay out the slices of bacon on a sheet tray and season with pepper, cook for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Don't burn your bacon!
- For the slaw, add both cabbages and the carrots to a bowl and put in the fridge. For the slaw dressing, add the next five ingredients to a bowl, mix well, check for seasoning, the dressing should be pretty tangy. Put in the fridge
- To cook the burgers, preheat your cooking surface(I prefer a cast iron pan or griddle pan) to medium high, dimple your burgers in the middle so they don't plump up like a football when cooked. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, flip, add the cheese, and cook for 1-2 minutes more. While the burgers are cooking, toss the slaw together with enough dressing to coat the slaw well(save this step until right before the end, or the slaw will get soggy). Set burgers aside on a sheet tray to cool for 1 minute. While the burgers are cooling, brush the buns with a little melted butter and toast until lightly browned.
- To assemble slider, schmear a little mayo on the bottom bun(will prevent a soggy bottom), and spoon on some BBQ sauce, add the burger, little more BBQ sauce, bacon, slaw, and top of the bun. Enjoy the winning burger of the Pepsi Game Day Challenge, a slider worthy of any big game!
This recipe is: