Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Creamy Potato Leek SoupPrint
- 2.5 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled & cubed
- 2 leeks cleaned and chopped
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts low sodium veggie stock/broth
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Pepitas pumpkin seeds, fresh or roasted
- Smoked paprika
- Pre-heat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the potatoes, next 4 ingredients, 1.5 teaspoons salt, and a couple cracks of pepper. Cook for 10 minutes then add the cumin and thyme. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until the veggies have softened. Add the veggie stock, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes. Check for seasoning after 20 minutes, you going to need 1-2 teaspoons more of salt. I was surprised how much I had to season this soup to really bring out the flavor.
- While the soup is cooking, add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a small pan/pot and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes until the red color really infuses into the oil.Take off heat and set aside.
- Puree the soup using a stick blender or regular blender until its creamy and dreamy. Check for seasoning, there is a good chance you will need more salt, seriously! To serve, fill a bowl with the soup and garnish with some pepitas and use a spoon to drizzle in some paprika oil.