Five Ingredient Chicken Meal Prep
5 Ingredient Caribbean Chicken Meal PrepPrint
For the Caribbean chicken:
- 5 eight ounce chicken breasts butterflied
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
For the black bean salad:
- 1 cup of dried black beans or 2.5 cups canned black beans
- 2 thick slices of fresh pineapple about 1 cup chopped
- ½ bunch of black/lacinato kale
- 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook’s Note: You can ask your butcher to butterfly chicken breasts for you, or you can buy them pre-packaged and butterflied.
- Cooked beans taste way better than canned beans. Soak 1 cup of beans overnight in a bowl with enough water to cover them by 3 inches. Boil the beans in unsalted water for 45-60 minutes until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- If you dress the entire black beans salad with olive oil and salt, it will only keep in the fridge 3 days. If you dress each portion the day you want to eat it, it will last 5 days.
- Begin Cooking:
- Make the bean salad by zesting 1 lemon and then cutting it in half. Add the lemon zest to a large bowl with the black beans. Cut the skin off the pineapple and then slice 2 thick rounds. Pre-heat a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes along with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the pineapple and lemons to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until the bottom of the pineapple and lemons have nice char marks. Remove the lemons from the pan and flip the pineapple over and cook another 4-5 minutes until charred. Roughly chopped the pineapple and add it to the bowl with the black beans. Tear the kale leaves off the stem, finely chop the kale, and add to the black beans. Season the beans by adding the juice of the charred lemon, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and a couple cracks of pepper. Mix well and check for seasoning.
- To make the chicken, combine the garlic powder and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with a generous pinch of salt and the spice rub. Allow the chicken to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes so the marinade can go to work. Pre-heat the same pan used for the pineapple over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan along with 3 chicken breasts. Make sure not to over-crowd the pan or the chicken won’t get golden and crusty. Cook for 4-5 minutes, flip, and cook another 4-5 minutes. You will know the breasts are ready to flip when the sides looks white. Remove chicken from pan and cook the second batch.
- The chicken will keep in the fridge for 5 days or can be frozen for 2-3 months. The salad will keep for 3 days if dressed or 5 days if you dress each portion the day you want to eat it. The salad can’t be frozen.
462 calories per meal
11.2 grams of fat per meal
25.8 grams of carbs per meal
56.6 grams of protein per meal
6.4 grams of fiber per meal