Pork Chops Cherry Relish
Grilled & Glazed Pork Chops with Cherry Relish
Grilled pork chops with fresh cherry relish.
For the pork chops:
- 2 bone-in pork chops like Porterhouse or Ribeye pork chops, about 1.5 inches thick
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt
For the spicy orange glaze:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger sliced into 3 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the cherry relish:
- 2/3 cups fresh cherries pitted & sliced in half
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- For the pork chops, make the spice rub by combining the smoked paprika and cumin in a small bowl, mix well. Season the pork chops with ¼ teaspoon of salt and generous pinch of spice rub on each side. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the orange glaze by adding the orange juice and remaining glaze ingredients to a small pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the juice has reduced by just over half and the mixture has thickened up to a loose sauce consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pre-heat one side of your grill to high and the other side to medium heat for 10 minutes. Sear the pork chops on the high heat side of the grill for 3-5 minutes, or until nice grill marks appear. Flip and repeat on the second side. Move the pork chops to the cooler side of the grill and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Flip the pork chops and brush some of the glaze on the top side of the pork. Cook for 3 minutes and then flip the chops and brush more glaze on the other side. Cook another 2 minutes and then use a probe thermometer to check doneness. The pork chops are ready when the internal temperature is 145 degrees F. The National Pork Board recommends to cook pork chops, loin roasts, and pork tenderloin to an internal temperature between 145 F and 160 F , followed by a three minute rest. Remove pork chops from grill, brush over a little more glaze, and rest the chops for 3 minutes.
- While the pork chops are resting, make the cherry relish by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl, mix well. Check for seasoning, you may need a little more lemon juice to make the flavors pop. If making ahead of time, don’t add salt until right before you serve it otherwise it will make the cherries watery.
- Serve the pork chops with extra glaze on the side and spoon some of the cherry relish right over the top of the chops. Enjoy!