Brazilian Beef Pastel
- 1/2 a sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 hard boiled eggs roughly chopped
- ½ cup green olives pitted and chopped
- Large wonton wrappers the ones used for making egg rolls
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Vegetable oil
- In a large heavy bottom pot, add 4-5 tablespoons of oil and bring the oil temperature to 350 degrees.
- Pre-heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and a couple cracks of pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the ground beef along with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and a little more pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break up the ground beef and cook for 7-10 minutes until the meat is cooked thorough. Take off the heat and check for seasoning. Add the chopped eggs and olives and mix well.
- Lay a wonton wrapper down and place 2 tablespoons of meat filling off center. Dip your finger in water and trace the edge of the wonton wrapper all around, adding more water when dry. Fold over the wonton wrapper, make sure to push out all the excess air so only a pocket of meat is left inside. Seal the edges firmly with your fingers and then use a fork to crimp the edges. Carefully put 3-4 pastels in the oil at a time a fry them for about 1 minute per side until they are golden brown all around. Remove from oil and sprinkle a tiny amount of salt over the top.
This recipe is: