Grilled Romaine Salad
Grilled Romaine Salad with Cherries
For the salad:
- 4 romaine hearts
- 2 ears of corn husked & cleaned
- 1 orange or yellow pepper quartered
- 1 tablespoon of capers drained and roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons roasted & chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup fresh cherries quartered or chopped
- 1 red jalapeno or small chili pepper thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint or chives
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons tahini sesame seed paste
- Juice of half a charred lemon can also use fresh lemon
- Juice of half a charred orange can also use fresh orange
- 1 clove of garlic grated finely using a microplane
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon chopped mint or chives
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Couple cracks of pepper
To char the citrus for the salad, pre-heat your grill to medium-high. Cut the lemon and orange in half and place the flesh side down on the grill for 5-6 minutes, or until it gets nicely charred, take off heat.
Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients, except for the water, in a bowl. Add enough water, about 1-2 tablespoons, to thin out the dressing and make it pourable, but still thick. Taste the dressing, it most likely will need more honey and/or lemon juice. You want the flavor to be slightly sweet and tart.
Grill the husked ears of corn and season the quartered pepper with a little touch of oil, salt, pepper, and grill until slightly charred on each side, about 7 minutes. When the corn and peppers are ready, cut the corn kernels off the cob and roughly chopped the peppers. Prep the remaining salad ingredients so they are ready to go. Cut the romaine hearts in half going from top to bottom. Brush or drizzle on a little olive oil and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper on the cut side. Grill the romaine cut side down for 3-5 minutes until nicely charred, remove from heat.
To assemble the salad, lay the romaine heart side up on a platter and scatter the corn, chopped peppers, and all the remaining salad ingredients over the top. Use a spoon and drizzle a good amount of dressing over the top. Serve & enjoy!