Grilled Ham Steak
Grilled Ham Steak with Summer Peach SaladPrint
For the Ham:
- 2 Ham Steaks
- ½ cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons of bourbon or orange juice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Juice & zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
For the salad:
- 1 peach pitted and sliced
- 2 cups of loosely packed arugula
- ½ a head cup of raddicio chopped
- 1 tablespoon each of fresh mint and chives chopped
- 2 tablespoon shelled pistachios roughly chopped
- Half a red chile finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Couple cracks of black pepper
- For the ham steaks, make the glaze by combining the peach preserves and next 5 ingredients in a medium size pot set over medium heat. Bring to a bare simmer and allow to bubble for 5 minutes, stirring a few times. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pre-heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high (375 to 425 degrees F) and make sure the grill grates are clean. Place the ham steaks on the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until nice char marks appear, flip and repeat on the second side. Brush some glaze on both sides of the ham steak and cook for 1-2 minutes per side so the glaze can caramelize and get sticky. Remove from heat. The ham steaks are ready when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, make the salad by combining the arugula and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl along with the salt and pepper. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and mix well. Serve the salad on a platter and place pieces of goat cheese and sliced peaches on top. Served ham steaks with salad and enjoy!
- NOTE: Only half of the glaze is used in the recipe, the rest can be reserved as a dipping sauce.