Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Roasted Tomato & Basil SoupPrint
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes
- 1.5 medium size yellow onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped(1/2 teaspoon if using dried thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 packed cup basil leaves
- 2 quarts LOW SODIUM veggie or chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and toss with 2 tablespoons of EVOO, 1.5 teaspoons salt, and a couple cracks of pepper. Arrange cut side up on a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes until browned and soft.
- Pre-heat a large pot over medium heat along with 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and a couple cracks of fresh pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the thyme and pepper flakes and continue cooking until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3-4 more minutes.Add the roasted tomatoes, stock, and basil leaves to the pot along with 1 tablespoon of salt and a couple cracks of pepper(remember, the stock is bland). Bring this mixture to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes. After 20 minutes, add 1.5 tablespoons of honey and check for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- After 45 minutes, use a hand/stick blender to puree the soup until its smooth. If you have to use a blender, be very careful and only fill the blender up halfway at a time, blend, dump, and repeat. Return the soup back to the pot and check for seasoning. Serve soup with some chopped basil as garnish and a small drizzle of EVOO.