Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Gluten Free Chocolate & Orange Cake
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- zest of 4 mandarins or zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed mandarin or orange juice
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup millet flour or gluten free all-purpose flour mix*
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
For the glaze:
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- ¼ cup mandarin or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together using a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the mandarin zest, juice, both oils, and the vanilla extract, mix well.
Add the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, salt and mix just until everything is combined. Add the batter to a cake pan or spring form pan (I used a round 8 inch pan) that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool down at room temperature.
To make the glaze, add all the ingredients to a small pot and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, mix well. Use a pastry brush or spoon and brush the glaze all around the cake. Serve and enjoy, this cake stays moist for days..if it lasts that long!
*Cooks note: You can use any gluten free flour mix - just be sure it doesn't contain any bean flour. The ones I use are by Bob's red mill, and Costco brand.